Canine Good Citizen
Established by the American Kennel Club in 1989, the Canine Good Citizen Program promotes responsible dog ownership through training and certification. The goal is to ensure safety of humans and animals by teaching manners and skills. This certification is sometimes required by homeowner’s insurance policies for certain breeds and for therapy dog programs.
This course will provide instruction and practice for the CGC, with the test administered during the last class.
The evaluation consists of ten objectives:
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Allowing basic grooming procedures.
- Walking on a loose lead.
- Walking through a crowd.
- Sitting and lying down on command and staying in place.
- Coming when called.
- Reacting appropriately to another dog.
- Reacting appropriately to distractions.
- Calmly enduring supervised separation from the owner
- Source: Wikipedia
To sign up for this class, please contact us. View the class calendar for more information.